seven years between blog posts is nothing

Well, hi! I don't really know if anyone sees this blog anymore, but I thought I'd update in my ongoing efforts to organise my craft life. I'm trying to keep all my Ravelry projects up to date so I can focus my efforts a bit more and concentrate on getting some of my UFOs finished.

So where are we at? Well, since 2009(!), I've started full-time work at the university and also taken up part-time study towards finishing my English/Gender degree - I'm trying to get a paper a semester done, and I'm now seven-and-a-half papers through a 20-paper degree. D is now a 9-year-old schoolboy and becomes more awesome exponentially each year :-) Also during that time I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which is an autoimmune condition that causes extreme fatigue, achy joints, and depression. Luckily most of my symptoms have been able to be controlled through medication, but it's a life-long condition so I always have to keep an eye on my hormonal levels. I'm also developing a bit of arthritis in my hands which I'm trying to keep at bay with lots of knitting and crochet :-)

I've pretty much given up on making my hats for sale - Etsy got too crowded, I sold very little on the NZ marketplace Felt, and my local stockists have gone out of business. I went door-to-door at one stage trying to find new ones and found that pretty soul-destroying. And eventually I got sick of making stuff that would sell, I just wanted to make stuff for family/friends and for fun.

I've become seriously hooked (LOL) on the African hexagon blankets and their amazing mix of tones and colours, and they've yet to get old for me:



















Another thing I've started doing is finding old crochet blankets and afghans and either repairing them or deconstructing and remaking them - this is one I did a few weeks ago (before and after):



















Unfortunately this means that I'm addicted to buying more afghans and the to-do pile just keeps getting bigger :-/

Anyway, I'll try to keep this blog updated with my projects from now on... but the proof is in the pudding, as they say!

Comments

Popular Posts