Sewing Project 002: Dress - Anna pattern



Pattern: Anna by By Hand London (https://byhandlondon.com/products/anna-dress)

Who for: Me

Size: 16/20

Type: Dress

Description: "An effortless dress featuring double pleats at the bust, kimono sleeves and a panelled a-line skirt. Variations include both slash and v-neck options, plus midi and maxi skirt possibilities and a dramatic thigh high split. Super quick and simple to make, cut it short for the perfect festival dress, or make it worthy of the red carpet with a maxi skirt and thigh high split." I chose the slash neck option and replaced the panelled skirt with a simple dirndl skirt.

Fabric: op shop sheet from the 1960s - $2!

Notions: thread, and a zip from the op shop for 20c.

Modifications/Alterations: Apart from changing the skirt, I followed the pattern carefully.

Results: I'm pleased with the dress, although the fabric is quite lightweight. Luckily the sheet was a no-iron jobbie otherwise it would be wrinkle city! The bodice fits very pleasingly across the bust. I think I might dye the dress black the next time I do a dyebath, as I'm not a big fan of lighter colours, and it might make it less "sheetlike" (one of my coworkers instantly recognised it as one that she had as a kid!)

Notes for future makes: Next time I'll look at lowering the waistline by about an inch or two so that the gathers sit at my natural waist. I'll also put a couple of darts in at the neckline as it gaps a bit, and possibly take the sleeves in a bit - the kimono style makes me look very top-heavy.

Comments

Popular Posts