lime and poppyseed buttons

Here's the recipe for the cookies I made that went down so well at Xmas. It's from a Australian Woman's Weekly Gourmet Gifts cookbook, and I've added notes from my own experience:

Lime and Poppyseed Buttons

200g butter, chopped (I used Olivani, since I wasn't sure whether some of the recipients might need them to be dairy-free)
3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
1 tsp finely grated lime rind (I grated the rind from 3-4 limes)
1 egg
1 3/4 cups (160g) plain flour
2 tsps poppyseeds

Beat butterm sugar, rind and egg in medium bowl with electric mixer until pale. Gradually beat in flour, then seeds. Cover; refrigerate 30 mins (I'd actually leave it much longer than that - it's terrible to work with when soft, and the longer you leave it the harder the butter sets, but then that might have been from me using Olivani instead). Roll level tsps of mixture into balls, place on baking paper-lined over tray, flatten slightly with fingers. Bake in moderate oven (175 degrees C) about 8 mins (with my oven it was more like 10 mins), leave to stand on tray 5 mins before transferring to wire rack to cool. Drizzle with lime icing (I found the best way was putting the buttons close together on the rack, filling a plastic bag with the icing and snipping the corner off, so you can drizzle it in lines across all the cookies) and allow to set. Dust with sifted icing sugar if desired (I didn't, I think they're sweet enough as it is).

Lime Icing

1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar
1 Tbsp lime juice

Sift icing sugar into small bowl, gradually stir in lime juice (I ended up using the juice of a whole lime to get the consistancy right).

Hope you like! I think I got 100 or so from each batch of mixture. The best bit is when they're cooking and they melt into the little button shapes, and they taste awesome still warm :)

Comments

Popular Posts