SP7 questionnaire

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
Nope, I'm a yarn slut - I love nearly every type of yarn, and would love to get some of the mainstream US brands I've heard so much about. Absolutely adore anything that's variegated or space dyed. The only thing I would tend to avoid is baby yarn or very lightweight stuff, natural-coloured homespun in the grease, and I'm kinda over feather/fur type novelty yarn (though a little bit is fine).

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
Learning to spin at present, and crochet is my raison d'être.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Needles: musty old tartan tube needle bag.
Hooks: manky old handcrocheted blue acrylic purse (one of my early projects - not one I'm proud of, but it works).

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I started knitting as a teenager, but stopped in my early 20s, then started again late last year, so I would say I'm somewhere between being a beginner and an intermediate.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Yus: http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/1U0N325HBCTQ1

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I love any natural essential oil perfumes like rose, vanilla, patchouli, sandalwood, frankincense, clove, lavender - but I really don't like anything that smells "fake".

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
oh yes! Love chocolate and boiled sweets.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Mostly, I'm focused on crocheting, knitting and spinning, but I also do patchwork (quilting), sewing or altering my own clothes, and beading.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Definitely up for MP3s - I like a real range of music, from punk to lounge to world to country to folk. Love indie/college rock/brit pop/new wave of the new wave/power pop. The only things I tend to avoid are really atrocious rap, R&B, pop or new country, but even then there are exceptions. I'd love it if my Secret Pal made me a mix CD of the music they really love - I'm always interested in seeing what rings other people's bells.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Love purple, black, grey, burgundy, light blue. Usually dislike yellow or orange, and most pastels.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with my husband, Peter - we've been together for 15 years - and we have two tabby cats, Tintin and Calliope.

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves and gloves/mittens, definitely. I have dreadlocks, so most hats look a bit weird over the top, but any sort of dread-storing style of hat or headdress is cool. Bulky ponchos make me look matronly due to my large boobies, but lightweight ones might be okay.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I like Patons Zhivago because it's so soft, and Noro Kureyon because it's fun watching the colours change, but I enjoy using most DK/worsted weight yarns.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I'd say anything too fine or fiddly. I have trouble working with feathers/fur type yarns because I can't see the stitches. Hate working with greasy yarn, ugh.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I love the Nippertails hat because I can wear it with my dreads sticking out, so I'm planning to make some more of those. I also love shrugs/bolero style tie cardigans - I keep seeing them for sale in the stores for that whole Bohemian fashion look and want to make my own.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
That's hard for me to answer - I guess I like to knit small, easily constructed items from a pattern that I've already used before. I like to knit with the TV off so I can concentrate, but if the TV is on, I need to do something really basic and repetitive like a scarf.

17. What are you knitting right now?
About to start my next Nippertails hat from really beautiful mohair I bought as squares from the op shop and painstakingly unfrogged, and I'm also going to start this shrug in green acrylic, to see whether or not it works. Crochet-wise, I'm making more dread snood hats from bulky mohair yarns and making granny squares from scrap pieces.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Love receiving handmade - but not something that's just been thrown together. If it's something that has had some care put into it, and been finished off properly, I'll love it to death.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Straight, although I should get into using the circular ones.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Prefer bamboo, but am happy with any.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have a yarn winder which I don't use, I prefer to ball yarn by hand. Don't have a swift but I've ordered a niddy-noddy by mail.

22. How did you learn to knit?
I think either my mother or grandmother showed me the basics initially, then I used books to work out more advanced techniques.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Probably my scrap patchwork bedcover, which is going on for 17 years or so! Yarn-wise, it would be my two crocheted square hat projects (the crochet bit was finished ages ago, but they still need linings and press studs) which would be entering the fourth year, I'd say.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Bad Badtz Maru
Kogepan
(not sure whether they count as animated, but they sure are cute!)
Favourite animals: cat, seal, octopus
Favourite birds: owl, kereru (NZ native woodpigeon)

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Hallowe'en, Anzac Day.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Yarn ;), china cats from the 50s and 60s, robot-themed things, octopus things.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None, although I've been buying 3 month old copies of Interweave Knits as they arrive at my LYS.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I'd like to read SnB Nation, but not dying for it. Love to get some of the beautiful Noro and Debbie Bliss yarns available overseas.

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Nothing that springs to mind at the moment (except for spinning know-how!) but I'm sure as I embark on new knit projects things will come up.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Never tried, though now that I'm coming to grips with dpns I might give it a go! My feet are US size 7, Euro size 38.

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
05/07 - 7 May.

32. Any allergies?
Only to a little-known decorative tree called a ruse tree, apart from that none known.

Comments

Popular Posts